THE CLUB YEAR, NOMINATIONS, ELECTION
SECTION 1 - CLUB YEAR
The Club's fiscal and operating year shall begin on the 1st day of October and end on the 30th day of September. On the 1st of October the elected Officers and Directors take office, and each retiring officer shall turn over to his or her successor in office all properties and records relating to that office. All records other than those of the previous term shall be sent to the Archivist for permanent retention.
SECTION 2 - VOTING
At the annual meeting or at a special meeting of the Club voting shall be limited to those members in good standing, whose dues are paid in accordance with Article I, Section 2, of these By-laws, except for the annual election of Officers, Board and Delegate, amendments to the Constitution and by-laws, and amendments to the Breed Standard, which shall be decided by ballot cast by mail or in accordance with AKC’s procedure on Electronic Balloting for AKC Parent Clubs.
The Board of Directors may decide to submit other specific questions for decisions of members by ballot cast by mail or in accordance with AKC’s procedure on Electronic Balloting for AKC Parent Clubs.
SECTION 3- ELECTION
Subject to the provisions of Section 4, Nominations and Ballots, the election of Officers and Delegate to The American Kennel Club shall be by secret ballot. Ballots to be valid must be received by the Recording Secretary by July 1st. Ballots shall be counted by an Independent Professional or Organization, recommended by the Recording Secretary and approved by the Board. The person receiving the largest number of votes for each position shall be declared elected. If there is a tie, at the time the election is verified, for any position described in Article III of these bylaws, that prevents a nominee from being elected, the Board of Directors shall, by ballot, elect one of the persons so tied.
If any nominee, at the time of the election verification, is unable to serve for any reason, the nominee shall not be elected and the vacancy so created shall be filled by the new Board of Directors in the manner provided by Article III, Section 5.
SECTION 4 - NOMINATIONS AND BALLOTS
No votes shall be credited to any person in a Club election except to eligible members who have been nominated in accordance with these By-laws. A Nominating Committee shall be chosen by the Board of Directors before February 15th, the members of which shall not be the same in any consecutive year. The Committee shall consist of three members from different areas of the USA, and two alternates, all members in good standing, no more than one of whom may be a member of the current Board of Directors. The Board shall name a chairperson for the Committee. The Nominating Committee may conduct its business by mail, e-mail or telephone, in accordance with the policy approved by the Board.
- The Nominating Committee shall nominate, for the open positions in the upcoming term, from among the eligible members of the Club, one nominee for each office. The Committee shall procure the acceptance of each nominee so chosen. The Committee should consider the geographical representation of the membership on the Board to the extent that it is practicable to do so. The Committee shall then submit its slate of nominees to the Recording Secretary who shall send the list, including the full names of all nominees and the states in which they reside, to each member of the Club on or before April 1st, so that additional nominations may be made by the members if they so desire.
- Additional nominations of eligible members may be made by written petition to the Recording Secretary and received at the Recording Secretary's regular address on or before May 1st, signed by five members in good standing and accompanied by the written acceptance of each additional nominee signifying willingness to be a nominee. Except for the position of Delegate, no person shall be a nominee for more than one position and the additional nominations which are provided for herein may be made only from among those members who have not accepted a nomination from the Nominating Committee.
- If no valid additional nominations for office are received by the Recording Secretary on or before May 1st the Nominating Committee's slate shall be declared to be elected at the next Board of Directors Meeting and subsequently communicated to all Club Members, and no balloting will be required. The Officers shall take office on October 1st.
- If one or more valid nominations are received on or before May 1st, the Recording Secretary shall, on or before June 1st, mail to each member in good standing a ballot listing all of the nominees for each position in alphabetical order, with the names of the States in which they reside, together with a blank envelope and a return envelope addressed to the Recording Secretary marked "Ballot" and bearing the name of the member to whom it was sent. So that the ballots remain secret, each voter, after marking his ballot, shall seal it in the blank envelope, which in turn shall be placed in the second envelope addressed to the Recording Secretary. The ballots must be returned to the Recording Secretary by July 1st. The Independent inspector(s) of election, as specified in Section 3 Elections, shall check the returns against the list of members whose dues are paid for the current year prior to opening the outer envelopes and removing the blank envelopes and shall certify the eligibility of the voters as well as the results of the voting to the Board of Directors by August 1st.
- Nominations cannot be made at the annual meeting or in any manner other than is provided above.